Monday, March 31, 2008

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

There is a lot to say about this subject, but for now I wanted to post an email that the Emergency Food Hotline received about a call that came in a couple of hours ago. It was regarding a vegan recipe and the timing of cooking the cupcakes. More will be filled in on this topic soon!

Dear Food Hotline,

Thank you so much for your advice on my non-springy - not sure if they
are done vegan chocolate cupcake emergency. I took your advice and cut
one open (after it cooled). It did finish cooking just as you said.
Just to be sure I stuffed the whole thing in my mouth and it was
fabulous. I'm going to send them to friends of mine who just had a baby
so they can enjoy a chocolatey sugar fix during their 3am feedings.
Actually the real problem was with my oven which is old and sad. When I
cooked the second batch for 18 min. instead of 12 they came out
perfect. I used to call my mother during these kitchen emergencies but
she doesn't pick up anymore because she's dead and has been for over 5
years now. It took me a long time to get over not having her there in
the kitchen with me but now I have you.

Yours Truly,

The not under or over cooked vegan chocolate cupcake master

vegan chocolate cupcakes

vegan chocolate cupcakes, March 2006

2 comments:

Darby Photos said...

Jenny,
This isn't really a comment but, how do I make my own self-rising flour? It seems silly to buy something I'll only use once.

jennifer bastian said...

Hi Darby, sorry for the delayed reply! Here's a recipe for it that I've used once or twice:

4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons baking powder

and then I saw this one online, notice that the ratio of salt is quite different:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt.

The salt is usually high in recipes for self-rising flour, so if the recipe you're using it for calls for salt, you may want to reduce the amount in your self-rising mixture. Hope that helps!