Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Plantain update

The Emergency Food Hotline just received an email about another exciting way to use plantains. Here is an excerpt:

"Funny, I'd JUST written an email friend about plantains the minute before I read your most recent blog! I fell in love with them in Chicago, too. We lived in Humboldt Park and the little store by our house, Nuevo Puerto Rico, had them. The owner told me stories about how his grandfather, during fiscally thin times, would snap plantains from the tree and eat them while they were green and overripe.

The email to my friend was about a meal we're having Friday. I suggested we make the plantains in the way the store owner suggested: in a lasagna. You substitute the noodles with strips of plantain.

Have you done that? Usually, I eat them in the way you described on your blog, but I'm eager to try something new."

I think that's a marvelous idea, and I hope we will hear an update on how the meal went. I just remembered another way I've eaten plantains that is quite delicious:



The photo was taken at a Milwaukee restaurant called Cubanitas. These little chips are crisp and hot and soft in the center, and the sauce is onion-y and tangy. There must be some lime in there. And perhaps some garlic and sugar...?

No comments: