Monday, March 10, 2008

Plantains

On Saturday, I received a text message emergency regarding frying plantains. While I do not enjoy the flavor of bananas due to an over-exposure to banana flavored amoxicillin as a child, I have developed a fondness for their cousin, the plantain. While living in Chicago I had very good experience ordering plantains out as well as cooking them at home. Plantains Foster from the wonderful Handlebar restaurant is excellent, as well as traditionally prepared Costa Rican plantains from Irazu. I have never been able to rival either of those dining sensations, but I do enjoy frying up some plantains.

Whether they're a package of Goya frozen sliced or fresh green-smelling market plantains, I am game to combine them with as many sweet and savory options as possible. One hot summer day in 2002 I recall coming home from a long trip to the Montrose-Wilson beach to discover there was nothing in the cupboards save a pack of those frozen Goya plantains.

I made those frozen plantains, and while they were tasty, the oil had definitely taken over the flavor. I think I simply used a little too much oil. So when I was asked how to they were best prepared, I wanted to double check that I would be giving all the right advice. I recommended frying in oil or butter (depending on the recipe or sweet/savory status). The plantains shouldn’t be covered in the oil, but there should be enough to come up at least half the thickness of the plantain, so that the center is cooking properly through as the edges fry.

yum

Two more things that I’ve learned about frying plantains:

1. If they are under-ripe (green), they should be fried twice—and between fryings they should be flattened out and patted down to release excess moisture.

2. If the plantain is over-ripe, they sugars will be more likely to caramelize while frying and will come out naturally sweetened!

Some people make them with a dusting of salt, sugar and lime. I most often have made them with onions and garlic, black beans and possibly some tomato or carrot thrown in, depending on what is in the house. Add a pack of 25 cent fresh tortillas from the mexican market and you've got a perfect meal. There are many excellent recipes and stories about plantains on the internet, from a variety of cultures and nationalities. I will be interested to hear from my caller to know how their meal turned out and what other vegetable items were included.