Monday, November 17, 2008

Quick Fruit Sauces

I can remember quite a few breakfasts with friends where someone was making pancakes and there was no syrup in the house. Who can plan for everything? Definitely not me. Pancakes without syrup is a tragedy, of course, but also an opportunity to experiment with extras just sitting in the refrigerator. I have two recent examples (with photos!) to cite.

1. Peach-Mango-Pineapple Sauce

We had some leftover pineapple, some peaches that were too mealy to eat by themselves, and an amazing mango. I tossed these into a saucepan with a couple of tablespoons sugar, maybe a 1/4 cup water, a couple of teaspoons balsamic vinegar, and a drizzle of vanilla. I let it cook down for a while, maybe ten minutes, adding a bit more sugar or vinegar if needed. And a dash of salt too--really brings out the sweetness nicely.


French Toast with Jonathan, South Bristol, Maine. September 6, 2008.

2. Apple-Raspberry Sauce

We were making pancakes. We had a few apples and a carton of raspberries, and some candied orange peel (that we sadly forgot to use!). I sliced the apples very thin and cooked them down in the same way as the more tropical version above, but this time with a bit more vanilla. I think vanilla really complements apples well.

I only added about two thirds of the raspberries at first, so that a handful could be thrown in toward the end. That way the texture of the berries is preserved for tasting pleasure when poured on the pancakes. I think this sauce would also be great with a bit of bourbon thrown in toward the end.


Pancakes with Alicia, Chicago. October 13, 2008.

Both of these sauces would make great preserves.

1 comment:

summerfunlistlv said...

i am a person who LOVES pure maple syrup. But, even I admit, it can be boring and get old. So, even if you do have syrup on hand, it's nice to mix it up and these are great sauce ideas. Thanks Bastian!